Yummy Mummy: The How To Guide
I am extremely proud to introduce my very talented and beautiful friend, Courtenay, to Grenglish (that’s us on the left). We met in 2004 when she answered my ad in Loot looking for a flatmate to share with in Maida Vale. It wasn’t long before we discovered a common love of T4, Steve Jones and Karaoke. She didn’t like to drink too much back then (hard to believe now, I know!) but I soon changed that, and in fact, take full credit for the cocktail drinking, wine slurping girly she is today!
Courtenay has always had a strong passion for both music and fashion. For the last 15 years she was able to bring them together traveling the world with some of the most successful bands of our generation: Kings of Leon, Massive Attack, No Doubt, Stone Temple Pilots, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Britney Spears, David Gray and Maxwell. All of this helped to prepare her for her biggest challenge yet – as witness to our Grenglish wedding – oh, and her own personal styling business in L.A. (jealous much?!)
Ladies and Gentleman, I give you a guest post by Ms. Courtenay Brandt
“The Yummy Mummy” is a modern day phenomenon. They are the mom’s that somehow still look stylish and sexy while wiping throw up off their jacket and carrying a screaming baby. There are a few versions of the Yummy Mummy: Posh, Hippie and my personal favourite Rock n’ Roll. Celebrities have helped pave the way and inspire us to strive for hot mom status. Though they make mommydom seem easy with their trainers, chefs, nannies and millions of dollars, at the end of the 9+ months they still had to push that baby out.
“The Posh Yummy Mummy”
Celebrities: Elle McPherson & Claudia Schiffer
Now I know these women are on a whole other level or universe with their model good looks and elastic like rebound bodies, but they still do the school run in their basics and make it look effortless.
“The Hippie Yummy Mummy”
Celebrities: Kate Hudson & Nicole Richie
All it takes is a braid in your hair, sun-kissed skin (bronzer! bronzer!), a pair of bell bottoms or a maxi dress and you are on your way to becoming a Hippie Yummy Mummy. This is also a good version for those that are still carrying some baby weight because you can hide your belly under the long, flowy dress and you don’t need to do your hair or make up.
“The Rock n’ Roll Yummy Mummy”
Celebrities: Gwyneth Paltrow and the icon herself Kate Moss
Sunglasses, leather jacket and skinny jeans….enough said.
The key to being a stylish Yummy Mummy is to stick to the basics. When you have the foundation of great fitting basics you can play up your personal style and flare with the accessories.
Here are my Top Ten Essentials for the Yummy Mummy:
- The Bag – It’s all in the bag. Ladies the most essential piece to being a yummy mummy is a fabulous designer bag. Not only does it look good but the moment when you buy one is euphoric (trust me I have had this high many times). Most designers are now making their best-selling bag in a variety of sizes, so you are sure find one you can also use as a diaper bag. The Mulberry Piccadilly is a great option
- The Leather Jacket – The essential for the Rock n’ Roll Yummy Mummy. A sexy leather jacket makes anyone look bad ass. All Saints has a great variety at a reasonable price, I especially like the Heston and the Walker
- The Skinny Jean – These days there are skinny jeans to fit all bodies. I suggest getting one with some stretch which not only allows you to get into them but also keeps certain areas in place. I have found the best skinny jean for a more voluptuous figure are from Paige Premium Denim. They have a handy fit guide on their website to help you choose the perfect pair.
- The Maxi Dress – Now that you have some boobs let’s show them off. Personally I can’t wait for this day to come. The maxi is the perfect dress for accentuating the things you want (boobs) and hiding the things you don’t (belly, butt, swollen ankles). This Jarlo brown animal print dress from River Island is very pretty , but check out your local high street as all the major stores will be carrying a variety this season
- The Sunglasses – Ladies no one needs to see those dark circles and bags under your eyes so hide them with some cool looking sunglasses. You can spoil yourself with a fab designer pair or keep it classic with my personal favourites Ray-Bans. The Wayfarer or the Aviator, the choice is yours. They have never and will never go out of style
- The Scarf – Add a pop of colour to your drab monochromatic clothes. A vibrant scarf is the easiest way to show a bit of flare and a pashmina can also double as a baby blanket. I love the iconic Alexander McQueen silk skull scarves. You don’t need to spend this kind of money but it sure looks pretty
- The Wedge – Take off those trainers stat. I know your feet hurt but you can still look good in comfortable shoes. Introducing the Dolce Vita Pali. I SWEAR by these wedges. I can wear them all day and my feet still don’t hurt. I don’t know where you can buy them in the UK but I can certainly help you track them down if you send me an email.
- The Flowy Tee – Let’s face it fitted tees haven’t been a sexy look for some time now. So it is easy for you to follow the fashionable trend with a lovely flowy tee. My favourite are Helmut Lang jersey tees. I have loads and wear them out
- The Ballet Flat – This is the shoe you will find on most mom’s feet and there is nothing wrong with it but live a little with the colour and textures. I suggest a bold solid colour, metallics, muted 2-tones or get wild with an animal print. Repetto is the ballet shoe extraordinaire. Expensive but worth it
- The Spanx – I am about to change your life. No more ugly, nasty looking spanx. Ladies now when you take of your clothes you will be wearing sexy, fashionable body wear courtesy of Resultwear by D’Mondaine. I have seen them up close and I didn’t even realize they were spanx they looked so sexy. Now go make yourself another baby!
Go to facebook.com/CourtenayBrandtStyle for daily fashion updates with shopping suggestions, street style, videos and so much more.
Do you have a question for Courtenay? Post it here…