Grenglish’s Day Off

Grenglish’s Day Off

I had a day off in the week.  A real day off.  A day with no work, no Zee and no Greek God(zilla)

I think the last time I took a whole day for myself must have been before Zee was born, so I was really looking forward to it.

Or I would be, as soon as I could shake off the guilt of choosing a day of reading, blogging, sleeping, tweeting and tv watching over a midweek bonus day with my son…

I woke up at 6am with the Greek God(zilla), but as Zee treated me to a sleep in until 6.45am, it meant I had some free time to make a head start on getting washed, dressed and unloading the dishwasher.

With minimal tantrums over teeth brushing and shoe lacing, we managed to be out of the house by 8am.

‘Have a nice day at work’ the nursery staff called out after me as I dropped Zee off.

‘Thanks!’ I responded guiltily as I swanned off, too embarrassed to tell them that I was selfishly taking the day for myself.

And so my day began.

First up was a quick dash around the supermarket to get in a few supplies.  Did I mention that I was hosting the East Dulwich WI committee meeting later that night?  Just 10 women for drinks and dinner at 7pm, no biggie.

By 9am, I was sitting comfortably at my hairdresser’s reading about Beyonce & Jay-Z’s new baby girl in OK magazine.  This appointment was originally scheduled for the weekend, but my hairstylist had not been feeling too well, so remembering this free day, we rescheduled.

I was also still hacking away, the last dregs of this chicken pox/flu thing refusing to completely let go and move on to some other poor unsuspecting soul with a full-time job, toddler, Greek God(zilla) and a million plus one other commitments that did not allow for time off to recover.  Maybe a little lie down on the sofa when I got home wouldn’t hurt…

So, I had a little lie down on the sofa when I got home, pulled a blanket over me and could physically feel the chill in my bones  warming.

I woke up with 3 hours to go before I had to collect Zee from nursery, so quickly knocked up a cottage pie and a vegetable pasta bake, that could be reheated later, whizzed the hoover round, folded laundry, cleaned the kitchen floor and wiped down 4 garden chairs.

The Greek God(zilla) arrived home from work and offered to do the nursery run, so I shoved another load of laundry in and reloaded the dishwasher.

It was brilliant to get a head start on these chores before the weekend.  Feeling everything was well in hand, I had a good hour or so to spend with Zee.  We read a couple of Mr Men books, watched an episode of Ben & Holly’s Little Kingdom, pretended to cook a chicken for Igglepiggle and stuck some stickers on things.  Mainly on me.

At 7pm, Zee went up to bed and the first of the WI started to arrive.  With wine.

The meeting lasted a couple of hours, by the end of which I was feeling a little bit merry.  I continued to sip wine while I pushed the dining table back to the wall, while I stacked the garden chairs and while I unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher for the third and final time that day.

I collapsed into bed around 10.30pm thinking that all I needed now was another day off to recover from my day off.  Maybe in a few years time.

What do you really do on your day off?



  1. February 20, 2012 / 10:04 AM

    Your day off sounds like my rare ones. We still do 101 things don’t we! Reminds me of maternity leave! Well done on being so productive though and hairdressers and gossip catch up on the stars is essential on any worthy day off!

  2. February 28, 2012 / 3:26 PM

    Happy New Blog Day! x

    • Grenglish
      February 28, 2012 / 3:28 PM

      thank you! I am going to break my self imposed no wine midweek rule tonight!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.