It will take more than a little bit of rain to scupper the Greek Easter barbecue planned for this afternoon.
Not even the heavy rain that is forecast for today can dampen the Greek God(zilla)’s spirits when it comes to putting lamb on the spit.
It will not be the first time that he has flame grilled a souvlaki under the shelter of a golf umbrella, nor will it be the last.
Obviously the fact that he will be turning sausages in the rain while we all watch from the warm, dry comfort of the sofa inside will no doubt elevate him to hero status in his own mind, which will be demonstrated by various requests to be served ice cold Keo beers at regular intervals throughout the day. Although this is always a given, come rain or shine.
Five other things that are a given at Greek Easter:
- Yiayia will look shocked when the vegetarians point out that sausage meat does count as real meat.
- I will take the egg cracking competition too seriously and ruthlessly wipe out 3 & 4 year olds from the game without a shred of shame.
- Auntie BB will get stuck up on the roof/rat-arsed on white wine/stand under a bucket of rain water/dance on a chair.
- At some point, we will all dance around the garden to Spandau Ballet.
- The Greek God(zilla) will turn off the cheesy playlist and insist we all sit quietly and listen to the lyrics of a Pink Floyd/Midnight Oil/Pharrell song. Like, really listen to them. Four times.
- There will always be more lemon potatoes in the kitchen.